India does not have a great record in cycling, a sport that has been a part of every Asian Games except the 1954 event in Manila. The country has won just three medals — all at the inaugural 1951 Games in New Delhi.
Rohinton Noble took the bronze medal in the men’s sprint, Netai Chand Bysack won the bronze in the 1km time trial and the men’s team clinched silver in the team pursuit event.
At the 2018 Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast, Australia, India’s nine-member contingent struggled to even qualify for the final round, with most exiting in the early stages. At Jakarta-Palembang, the country’s chances of a medal in any of the four events — BMX, mountain bike, road and track — seem bleak. Even a top-five finish will be commendable.
- Premier League: Arsenal beats Wolves to go four points clear at top
- Vaishali, India’s third female Grandmaster, is making all the right moves
- IPL 2024 Auction: Scouts reveal domestic middle-order batters, fast bowlers likely to be hot property on December 19
- EURO 2024 full schedule: Complete list of matches, groups, kick-off time, venues, live streaming info
- UEFA to revamp Women’s Champions League, create second-tier European competition