A Czech runner died from his injuries after falling at the Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc's TDS mountain race, organisers said on Wednesday.
The incident occurred on the descent of the Passeur de Pralognan, organisers said, adding that the rescue team at the top of the pass reached the scene immediately.
"State services were then notified, with a request for helicopter support. Despite all the care given to him, the runner succumbed to his injuries," organisers said in a statement.
"The runner involved in the incident is a Czech national and, out of respect for the family, the organisers will respect their anonymity."
The TDS is one of the many Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc events taking place in the final week of August in the vicinity of the highest mountain in the Alps.
ALSO READ | Australian cyclist Paige Greco grabs first gold of Tokyo Paralympics
It features 1,600 runners taking part in a 145-km run with 9,100 metres of altitude gain across the Italian and French Alps.
Latest on Sportstar
- WTC Final LIVE Score, IND vs AUS Day 1: Australia 34/1 (13 overs); Warner, Labuschagne lead towards 50
- Asian U20 Athletics Championship: Laxita, women’s 4x400m relay team win gold; Mehdi bags men’s 1500m bronze
- World of cricket: England tastes Stoke-less success, schedule ODI World Cup 2023 to be announced at WTC final
- Unlikely Champions League finalist Inter Milan out to upset Manchester City
- Padel should be a big hit in days to come: P Gopichand