100m hurdler Jyothi Yarraji won at Kurpfalz Gala, a World Athletics Continental Tour-Challenger event at Weinheim, Germany, on Saturday with her career’s third sub-13 timing, registering a season-best 12.84s (+1.0m/s). It is the fastest time by an Asian this year.
This is now the Reliance Sports Foundation (RSF) athlete’s second-best effort after her national record of 12.82s, which had come at the 61st National Open Athletics Championship in Bengaluru in 2022.
Jyothi, who is the only Indian hurdler to go sub-13, first achieved the feat at the National Games 2022, where she had crossed the line in 12.79 seconds. However, the wind gauge at the IIT Gandhinagar stadium had registered a tailwind of 2.5 seconds. Only timings with a tailwind of less than 2.0 m/s are considered eligible for records.
Sapna Kumari, the other Indian in the field and also from the RSF, came sixth, clocking 13.81s.
Meanwhile, national record-holder Amlan Borgohain clocked a personal best of 20.66s while winning the men’s 200m. Nine heats were held in the event, and he was the fastest overall.
Bronze and personal best for Parul
Parul Chaudhary took the women’s 3000m steeple chase bronze in a personal best 9:29.51s, the second fastest time by an Asian this year, in the USATF Los Angeles Grand Prix, a World Athletics Continental Tour-Gold event, on Friday.
And in the men’s 1500m ‘B’ final, Asian Games champion Jinson Johnson was 11th in a season-best 3:42.97s, while Rahul took the next spot with 3:43.83.
- Live Score IND vs WI 2nd Test, Day 4: Chanderpaul, Brathwaite take West Indies forward in 365 chase vs India
- Hopman Cup: Croatia downs Switzerland to clinch title
- Jonas Vingegaard wins second successive Tour de France
- Wrestling trials for Asian Games: Upsets galore show past has little influence on the present
- Deodhar Trophy: Tournament favourite South Zone looks to open campaign on a high against North Zone