Andy Murray has responded to being described as "complex" by Amelie Mauresmo by hinting that his on-court conduct has improved since splitting with his former coach.
Former World No.1 Mauresmo and two-time grand-slam champion Murray parted ways this month by mutual agreement.
Mauresmo has since told L'Equipe: "Andy is complex. On the court, he can be the opposite of what he is in life. It can be confusing. I was there to help. I had the feeling I could not get things done."
World No. 2 Murray won the Internazionali BNL d'Italia in Rome earlier this month, in his first tournament without Mauresmo in his corner.
And the Scot has defended his on-court antics as he goes in search of a first French Open title.
"I don't think staying completely silent is a good thing for me," Murray told L'Equipe.
"In recent weeks I've done some good work on my attitude. It's true, emotions overtake me sometimes on court. I am emotional, I know that.
"Some people say it's positive when I don't show my emotions, when I control them completely. Others say the opposite. It's very difficult to place where the truth is.
"The thing that is most important, is to know whether the fact of being emotional makes me play the points afterwards badly, if that disrupts me.
"I have in the past played matches where I haven't opened my mouth. Shown nothing. And they were matches that were horrible, lost, flat.
"I have a need to express myself on the court. And that means expressing positive emotions, too."
- IND vs AUS live score 3rd ODI: Marsh, Smith keep scoring rate up for Australia post-PowerPlay
- Table Tennis LIVE Score, Asian Games 2023: Manav, Manush qualify for doubles R-32; Sathiyan, Manika in Mixed Doubles R-32 next
- Shooting HIGHLIGHTS Asian Games 2023: Sift Kaur wins gold with WR, India wins 25m women’s pistol team gold - Hangzhou 2022 updates
- Asian Games 2023 LIVE, September 27 Updates: Anant wins silver in men’s skeet; Esha bags silver in 25m pistol; Sumit bows out in tennis QF; India 5th with 22 medals
- Asian Games 2023: Anant Jeet Singh wins silver in men’s shotgun skeet event