Korean teen sensation An Se-young stunned reigning Olympic champion Carolina Marin in an epic final to lift the women’s singles title at the French Open badminton tournament, here on Sunday.
The 17-year-old Korean erased a one-game deficit to beat the three-time World Champion 16-21, 21-18, 21-5 in a gripping 69-minute contest.
It was Se-young’s fourth title of the season and first at BWF Super 750 level as she further underlined her growth as a world class shuttler.
Meanwhile, Rio Olympics champion fifth seed Chinese Chen Long grabbed the men’s singles trophy with a 21-19, 21-12 win over Indonesia’s Jonathan Christie in the final which lasted 51 minutes.
Marin paid credit to her opponent and said it was still a good week for her.
“I tried to win in two games because I knew going to a third would be tough. But she played really well and I just made too many mistakes in the second and third.
“It’s still a good week for me. I beat three top players in [Nozomi] Okuhara, Ratchanok [Intanon] and Tai. I will now analyse what happened and continue to improve my play," Marin told the BWF website.
- Europa League 2023-24: West Ham secures top-two finish after late win over Backa
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023 LIVE Score, Round 5: Toss updates; Mumbai to bowl vs Saurashtra, TN faces Punjab
- Europa League 2023-24: Liverpool powers into last 16, Brighton reaches knockouts
- IND vs AUS 4th T20I Dream11 Prediction: India vs Australia predicted playing XI, preview, squads
- Al Hilal vs Al Nassr LIVE Streaming info, Saudi Pro League: When, where to watch Cristiano Ronaldo, preview, prediction