Indian men's doubles pairing of Satwiksairaj Rankireddy-Chirag Shetty registered a straight-game win over Man Wei Chong-Kai Wun Tee of Malaysia in the pre-quarterfinals of the French Open at the Stade Pierre de Coubertin on Thursday.
Satwik-Chirag defeated Wei Chong-Wun Tee 21-16, 21-14 in a match that lasted for just 40 minutes.
With this win, the world no. 8 Indian duo advanced to the quarterfinals of the Super 750 event.
They will take on world no. 1 Takuro Hoki-Yugo Kobayashi on Friday.
Rasmus Gemke beats Kidambi Srikanth
World No. 11 Kidambi Srikanth went down to Rasmus Gemke in a three-game thriller in a men's singles pre-quarterfinal match later on the day.
Srikanth won the first game 21-19 when he showed better awareness and cruised to take the lead. But Srikanth was outclassed in the next two games.
The Dane shuttler put up an aggressive show against Srikanth’s laid-back effort to engage him in netplay. The world no. 16 played over-the-net hard pushes to foil Srikanth’s effort. He also used cross-court smashes to great effect to get the better of the Indian shuttler.
Gemke eventually won the second and third games 21-19, 21-19 and advanced to the quarterfinals.
The other Indian in action, H.S. Prannoy lost to China’s G.Z. Lu 19-21, 22-20, 19-21 in the Round of 16.
- IND vs NED Live Score, World Cup 2023: Toss, lineup updates; India eyes record ninth win against Netherlands
- New Zealand Test star Henry Nicholls cleared of ball tampering
- PCB, team management ignored advice to relook spin bowling attack before World Cup, says Misbah Ul Haq
- Six England World Cup 2023 players retained for Caribbean tour; Buttler remains captain
- India vs Netherlands, LIVE Streaming Info, World Cup 2023: When and where to watch IND vs NED match today?