Indian ace Kidambi Srikanth progressed to the pre-quarterfinals with a comfortable victory but HS Prannoy exited after a straight-game loss in the opening round of the China Open World Tour Super 750 tournament here on Wednesday.
Fifth seed Srikanth saw off France’s Lucas Corvee 21-12, 21-16 in 35 minutes to set up a clash with Indonesia’s Tommy Sugiarto.
However, Prannoy lost 11-21, 14-21 to Asian Games gold medallist Jonatan Christie of Indonesia in another men’s singles opener.
There was more bad news for India as young Vaishnavi Reddy Jakka went down 12-21, 16-21 to Pornpawee Chochuwong of Thailand in a women’s singles match.
In the mixed doubles, the Indian duo of Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Ashwini Ponnappa fought hard before losing 21-18, 19-21, 17-21 to seventh seeded Malaysian combination of Chan Peng Soon and Goh Liu Ying.
In what was his third win over world no 42 Corvee, Srikanth displayed good command as he recovered from an initial 1-4 deficit to lead 11-7 at the break of the opening game. He eventually pocketed the game comfortably.
In the second game, Corvee showed fighting spirit for a while as he moved neck and neck with Srikanth till 7-7. After that the Indian grabbed a 11-9 advantage at the interval and then kept increasing his lead to eventually shut the door on his French opponent.
On Tuesday, Olympic silver medallist P.V Sindhu had entered the pre-quarterfinals.
- South Africa squads for India series: Bavuma rested for ODI, T20Is; Markram to lead
- Junior Hockey World Cup 2023: India aims for a winning start, faces Korea in opener
- Indonesia expresses interest in hosting U-20 World Cup in 2025 with Singapore, says president Joko Widodo
- Hope reveals inspirational chat with Dhoni after guiding West Indies to thrilling win over England
- Hero World Challenge: Woods targets one event per month after competitive return