India, after being eliminated from the Sudirman Cup 2023 after an unimpressive campaign, following losses to Chinese Taipei and Malaysia, defeated Australia 4-1 in its last group match on Wednesday.
The first match of the day started with the mixed doubles pair of Sai Pratheek. K and Tanisha Crasto, who lost to Kenneth Zhe Hooi Choo and Gronya Somerville in a three game thriller 21-17, 14-21, 18-21.
The newly ranked World No 7 H S Prannoy dominated the proceedings against Jack Yu 21-8, 21-8 and equalised the score to 1-1. In the women’s singles match, India’s Anupama Upadhyaya defeated Tiffany Ho 21-16, 21-18.
The men’s doubles pairing of Arjun MR and Dhruv Kapila also followed suit by as they beat Ricky Tang and Rayne Wang 21-11, 21-12. Adding cherry to the Indian performance on its last league match was the women’s doubles team’s performance as Crasto and Ashwini Ponappa trounced Kaitlyn Ea and Angela Yu 21-19, 21-13.
India ended its campaign finishing third in group C after losing to Chinese Taipei and Malaysia. Australia is placed last in the group having lost all three of its matches.
Latest on Sportstar
- Antima Pal wins bronze in 5,000m event at Asian U20 Athletics Championship
- Hyderabad could host World professional snooker ranking event in August, says RB Ganesh
- Women’s Junior Asia Cup 2023: India ready for Malaysia challenge
- Swiatek no fan of ‘Iga’s Bakery’ memes after serving up another double bagel
- An Se Young defeats He Bingjiao in straight games, claims Thailand Open title