India, after being eliminated from the Sudirman Cup 2023 after an unimpressive campaign, following losses to Chinese Taipei and Malaysia, defeated Australia 4-1 in its last group match on Wednesday.
The first match of the day started with the mixed doubles pair of Sai Pratheek. K and Tanisha Crasto, who lost to Kenneth Zhe Hooi Choo and Gronya Somerville in a three game thriller 21-17, 14-21, 18-21.
The newly ranked World No 7 H S Prannoy dominated the proceedings against Jack Yu 21-8, 21-8 and equalised the score to 1-1. In the women’s singles match, India’s Anupama Upadhyaya defeated Tiffany Ho 21-16, 21-18.
The men’s doubles pairing of Arjun MR and Dhruv Kapila also followed suit by as they beat Ricky Tang and Rayne Wang 21-11, 21-12. Adding cherry to the Indian performance on its last league match was the women’s doubles team’s performance as Crasto and Ashwini Ponappa trounced Kaitlyn Ea and Angela Yu 21-19, 21-13.
India ended its campaign finishing third in group C after losing to Chinese Taipei and Malaysia. Australia is placed last in the group having lost all three of its matches.
- WPL 2024: Sajana smashes last ball six as Mumbai Indians seals dramatic opener vs Delhi Capitals
- MI vs DC Highlights, WPL 2024: Last-ball six from Sajana clinches thriller for Mumbai Indians
- Dubai Championships 2024: Qualifier Kalinskaya upsets World No. 1 Swiatek, faces Paolini in final
- ISL 2023-24: Bipin grabs brace as Mumbai City cruises to win against Chennaiyin
- Manchester United to play Arsenal in one of FIFA World Cup 2026 venues during pre-season