India's B. Sai Praneeth caused a major upset by trumping World Number five and reigning Olympic champion Chen Long to breeze into the final of the men's singles event of the Swiss Open, on Saturday.
World number 22 Praneeth overcame initial resistance from the Rio Olympic gold medallist to secure a 21-18 21-13 win.
In what was Praneeth's maiden win over the former Chinese No. 1 in three attempts, having lost to him in the Indonesia Masters early this year and at Asian Championship last year, the 26-year-old ensured a place in the summit clash on the BWF tour for the first time since the 2017 Thailand Open final.
He will take on Chinese top-seed Shi Yuqi in the final.
Latest on Sportstar
- Djokovic reaches French Open semifinals, awaits winner of Alcaraz vs Tsitsipas
- French Open 2023 Live Updates: Alcaraz vs Tsitsipas in Roland-Garros quarterfinals, winner faces Djokovic
- Red Bull’s Max Verstappen surges ahead in F1 standings
- Miyu Kato loses women’s doubles money for accidentally hitting ball kid
- Maharashtra Premier League Auction 2023: Nauman Shaikh most expensive player at Rs 6 lakh