After Akhil, Jitender too snaps ties with IOS

“They (the IOS) did not keep their word. When we signed the contract, we were promised six professional bouts. But so far, they could manage only one. Even our payment is due,” Jitender told Sportstar on Friday.

Jitender and Akhil fought their first pro boxing bout on August 5.   -  Shiv Kumar Pushpakar

India’s pro boxing circuit suffered another jolt on Friday as Jitender Kumar too terminated his contract with the IOS sports. A day after his old friend Akhil Kumar severed ties with the boxing promoters, Jitender too alleged that the company did not abide by the rules.

“They (the IOS) did not keep their word. When we signed the contract, we were promised six professional bouts. But so far, they could manage only one. Even our payment is due,” Jitender told Sportstar on Friday.

Earlier, Akhil had cited breach of contract as one of the reasons behind the termination, and Jitender too echoed a similar statement. “We seem to have wasted our time. In these months, there have been no training, no practice. This is clear breach of trust,” the experienced boxer added.

IOS chief Neerav Tomar, however, told this publication that he has not heard any such thing. “We have not heard any such thing about breaching of contract. I will talk to them properly,” Tomar, whose company also promotes star boxer Vijender Singh, said.

Jitender’s lawyer Naveen Raheja, who is also handling the legal case for Akhil, alleged that the termination notice had to be sent to the promoters after letters, seeking explanation, did not fetch any response. “As per the contract, the boxers were to be given all the facilities for their professional boxing career. That did not happen. It’s been a year since the contract and the promoters could only conduct one professional fight, while they were promised six in a year,” Raheja said.

“The company was supposed to pay for the boxers’ training, but that also did not happen. Non fulfilment of payment and other terms led to the termination of contract,” he added.

It is learnt that trouble between Akhil, Jitender and the company erupted after their pro-boxing debut on August 5. “They have not taken adequate care of the boxers. We wrote to them about it, but got no reply,” Raheja said.

The two boxers, however, believe that this is not the end of the road for them in pro-boxing. “I will speak to Akhil about it and then take a call on the future,” Jitender said.