Indian boxer Manisha (54kg) on Friday advanced to the final after upstaging former European champion Viktoria Kuleshova in the 13th International Silesian Championship for women in Gliwice, Poland.
Manisha, who claimed a silver in the world youth championships last month, fetched a 5-0 verdict in the semifinals.
“Manisha showed tremendous progress in performance and played well as per expectation,” coach Rafaelle Bergamasco told PTI from Gliwice.
In the junior category, Tingmila Doungel (48kg) claimed a gold medal after beating Germany’s Maria-Elena Avram in the summit clash.
She is a product of the boxing academy established by the legendary M.C. Mary Kom in Manipur. Mary Kom (48kg) herself entered the finals of the event’s senior competition on Thursday.
Also winning a gold medal in the junior category was Sandeep Kaur (51kg) after defeating Izbala Rozkabzek of Poland in the final.
Settling for silver medals were Neha (54kg), and Dinesh Naik (63kg) after losing in the final. While Neha lost to Nikolina Boke of Latvia, and Dinesh went down to Serbia’s Nina Stajkovic.
- RCB vs UPW Live Score, WPL 2024: Harris, Sehrawat keep Warriorz’ chase alive
- ISL 2023-24: Substitute Sivasakthi hero with the late winner as Bengaluru FC edges past Hyderabad
- East Bengal midfielder Saul Crespo returns to Kolkata for rehab
- India loses to Australia in shootout of FIH Men’s Pro League 2023-24
- Sri Lanka T20 skipper Wanindu Hasaranga gets two-match ban for abusing umpire