Former world heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson has chosen the Middle East’s top city to launch his new business venture, a franchise of fitness centres called the Mike Tyson Academy (MTA).
MTA has already garnered international interest with academies looking to open in the Middle East, Australia, France, West Africa and China.
Tyson held the record of being the youngest boxer to win the WBA, WBC and IBF heavyweight titles at the age of 20.
The 50-year-old Tyson will be revealing more about the venture on May 4 to be followed by the launch on May 6.
Asked why he chose Dubai to make this announcement, Tyson said the city has established itself on the world map by hosting many leading sporting events and icons, besides attributing it to the residents’ obsession with fitness.
“I strive to maintain consistency across all my centres with trainers that have been certified by me as well as exceptional training staff who will be on site to ensure a certain benchmark is maintained,” Tyson said.
The American boxing icon added, “I am positive that this is going to be only the beginning of a long-running successful association between myself and the region.”
Latest on Sportstar
- Real Madrid vs Athletic Bilbao; La Liga LIVE: Courtois saves an early penalty; RMA 0-0 ATH
- England spinner Jack Leach ruled out of Ashes 2023
- ISSF Junior World Cup: Gautami Bhanot, Abhinav Shaw win 10m air rifle mixed gold
- Gundogan is HIM: Man City midfielder stakes claim to be best signing of Guardiola era
- Indian sports news wrap, June 4