With the participation of several seasoned boxers in their 30s, who have returned to the boxing ring to secure notable success even after attaining motherhood, the 10th edition of the World boxing championships presents the best platform to highlight women’s resilience.
Indian household name, five-time World champion and London Olympics bronze medallist 35-year-old M. C. Mary Kom, who continued to shine at the highest level even after becoming a mother of three sons, is the ultimate example in the country. Mary’s long time statemate, 36-year-old L. Sarita Devi, a former World champion and a multiple Asian champion, has also resumed boxing with a fair degree of success even after giving birth to her son.
Among the visiting boxers, Finland’s 38-year-old Mira Potkonen, a bronze medallist from 2016 Olympic Games and a bronze winner in the previous World championships, has got two daughters.
Denmark’s Yvonne Baek Rasmussen retired in 2008 and gave birth to two children before returning to training in 2014. Thirty-seven-year-old Yvonne helps her children in their studies, works in the family agricultural business and drives 90 minutes to her boxing club every single day; she is among the medal contenders here like Mary, Sarita and Mira.
Colombian Ingrit Valencia took a break from boxing for two years and became the mother of a son before making a comeback with full force and landing a bronze medal in the Rio Olympics. The 30-year-old has remained unbeaten this year and is eyeing another medal here.
A gold medallist in the 2012 World championships, 31-year-old Filipino Josie Gabuco has an 11-year-old son but has miles to go as a boxer.
Stories of such gutsy women may inspire many female boxers around the world to overcome all odds and pursue their passion.
- India vs South Korea LIVE Score, Asian Games 2023 hockey semis: IND leads 4-2 vs KOR in second-quarter
- Asian Games 2023: Overall medals tally October 4 - LIVE - India 4th with 74 medals, 16 gold; Lovlina gets silver; Ojas-Jyothi win archery gold; Eye on Neeraj
- World Cup 2023: England team preview, squad, key players, form and prediction
- Asian Games 2023 Live Updates, October 4: Lovlina gets silver in 75kg boxing, IND 3-0 KOR in hockey semifinal; Jyothi-Ojas bag archery gold
- Asian Games 2023: Lovlina Borgohain wins boxing silver in women’s 75kg