Young Russian Grandmaster Alexandr Predke (Elo rating 2620) will be the top seed and favourite in the 11th Chennai Open International Grandmaster chess tournament 2019 for the Sakthi Group Dr. N. Mahalingam Trophy to be held here from January 18 to 25.
The challenge for Predke is expected to come from fellow Russian GMs Ivan Rozum and Ivan Popov.
The tournament has so far attracted 28 foreign players from 13 countries, a press note said.
A total of 17 Grandmasters and 22 International Masters will be seen in action.
The Indian challenge will be led by Grandmasters Erigaisi Arjun, Deepan Chakkravarthy, M. R. Venkatesh, Sundararajan Kidambi, R. R. Laxman, Neelotpal Das and Saptarshi Roy Chowdhury among others.
This tournament, organised by Tamil Nadu State Chess Association, carries a total prize money of Rs. 15 lakh with the winner set to take home Rs. three lakh and the runner-up Rs. two lakh.
The 10-round Swiss tournament offers Grandmaster and International Master norm chances for the participants.
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023 LIVE Score, Round 4: Tamil Nadu beats Baroda; Mumbai, Saurashtra, Bengal win
- Indian sports news wrap, November 29
- Champions League 2023: Early qualification delights Atletico coach Simeone
- BCCI extends contract of India head coach Rahul Dravid and support staff
- NBA roundup: Kings stun Warriors, advance in tournament