India will complete 75 years of Independence this year. Here is a series acknowledging 75 great sporting achievements by Indian athletes. Sportstar will present one iconic sporting achievement each day, leading up to August 15, 2022.
Koneru Humpy wins World Rapid Chess title
December 26-28, 2019: Koneru Humpy returned from a two-year sabbatical to become the women’s world rapid chess champion.
In Moscow, Koneru Humpy finally won a World title in senior chess. She was expected to win one long ago, given her talent, single-mindedness and the ability to work hard.
Her triumph at the women’s World rapid championship is the biggest achievement by an Indian after Viswanathan Anand’s many World titles. It makes India one among the few countries to have produced both male and female World rapid champions.
Last year, she received the Sportswoman of the Decade award at the Sportstar Aces Awards in 2021.
“Today is a very memorable moment for me, receiving the Sportswoman of the Decade award. This is very memorable because my association with Sportstar started quite early, when I was just around 10 years old.
I won the world youth championships in 1997 and that is when I was given the Sportstar Young Achievers Award, and it motivated me a lot to win many more laurels for the country. The next year, I won the world under-12 youth championships and received one more Young Achievers Award from Sportstar ," she said.
(Excerpts from an article published in The Hindu in 2019)
- Hyderabad FC vs Mohun Bagan SG LIVE Streaming Info, ISL 2023-24: When, where to watch HFC vs MBSG, predicted lineups, preview and more
- Gujarat Giants vs Telugu Titans LIVE Score, Pro Kabaddi League 2023: Fazel’s Gujarat takes on Sehrawat’s Telugu; When, where to watch PKL 10 season opener?
- Indian sports news wrap, December 2: Rethin, Aishi win ITF junior titles; Elavenil clinches shooting nationals gold
- Pro Kabaddi League: All the PKL rules explained ahead of season 10
- EURO 2024: Top seedings, potential match-ups, when, where to watch European Championship draw?