Sharjah Masters: Abhijeet draws, retains half-point lead
Abhijeet Gupta’s four-win sequence ends with a 26-move draw with UAE’s Salem Saleh; three all-India encounters also end in draws.
FILE PHOTO: Abhijeet Gupta (right) has 4.5 points after five rounds.
Abhijeet Gupta’s four-win sequence ended with a 26-move draw with UAE’s Salem Saleh in the fifth round of the Sharjah Masters chess tournament in Sharjah, on Wednesday.
ALSO READ - Praggnanandhaa beats Giri in GCT Superbet
The result saw Abhijeet (4.5 points) keep his half-a-point after the second board encounter involving sixth seeded Romanian Bogdan Daniel Deac and Turkey’s Mustafa Yilmaz (4 each) ended in a draw. Aryan Chopra, Aravindh Chithambaram and Aditya Mittal were the only Indians to win while all three all-India encounters ended in draws.
This included the one involving S. L. Narayanan and B. Adhiban that lasted 106 moves.
- Salem Saleh (UAE, 4) drew with Abhijeet Gupta (4.5);
- Ranuak Sadhwani (3) drew with Arjun Erigaisi (3);
- S. L. Narayanan (3) drew with B. Adhiban (2.5);
- D. Gukesh (3) drew with S. P. Sethuraman (2.5);
- Surya Shekhar Ganguly (2.5) lost to Hans Moke Neimann (USA, 3.5);
- Abhimanyu Puranik (3) drew with Jules Moussard (Fra, 3);
- Aryan Chopra (3) bt Olga Badelka (FIDE, 2);
- Nataliya Buksa (Ukr, 2) lost to Aravindh Chithambaram (3);
- Ilyas Msellek (Mar, 2) drew with Nihal Sarin (2);
- Sankalp Gupta (2) drew with Mert Erdogdu (Tur, 2);
- Aditya Mittal (2.5) bt Meruert Kamalidenova (Kaz, 1.5).