WGM Bhakti Kulkarni of Air India scored a fine win over WIM P.V. Nandhidhaa of Tamil Nadu to stay firmly on top of the table, with 7.5 points, after the eighth round in the 46th National women’s chess championship at the Chettinad Public School here on Tuesday.
It was a closely fought game between the two till the 30th move but, quite soon, Nandhidhaa provided her opponent with a winning chance and, Bhakti grabbed it with both hands to seal the game in 39 moves.
Meanwhile, Delhi’s Vantika Agarwal defeated Michelle Catherina of Tamil Nadu in just 24 moves to remain in the second position. Playing the black side of the Queen’s Gambit decline variation, Michelle miscalculated a bishop sacrifice on the 18th move and, that was enough and more for Vantika to score an easy win.
Air India’s WGM S. Meenakshi ousted Pratyusha Bodda of Andhra Pradesh to move to the lone third spot.
Top seed Soumya Swaminathan (PSPB) and third seed Divya Deskhmukh of Maharashtra got past Kiran Manisha Mohanty (LIC) and Nityata Jain (Madhya Pradesh) with ease. Mrudul Dehankar, on the other hand, pulled off a stunning win over Srija Seshadri.
- World Cup 2023: Pakistan vs New Zealand warm-up match to be played behind closed doors
- AFC Cup: Mohun Bagan beats Odisha FC 4-0, begins campaign in style
- Odisha FC vs Mohun Bagan SG AFC Cup HIGHLIGHTS: OFC 0-4 MBSG, Dimitri scores brace as Mariners demolish Juggernauts
- Why was Ravichandran Ashwin picked in ODI team despite not playing the format since Jan 2022
- Asian Games 2023, September 20: Indians in Action, schedule, events, LIVE streaming details, timings in IST