Viswanathan Anand drew in 30 moves with Russia’s Nikita Vitiugov in the 10th round of the Tata Steel Masters chess tournament here on Wednesday.
With three rounds to go after Thursday’s rest day, Anand shared the ninth spot with 4.5 points in the 14-player field.
World No. 2 Fabiano Caruana (7) retained his half-point lead over top seed Magnus Carlsen. Caruana defeated former leader and young sensation Alireza Fiouzja in 48 moves after Carlsen continued his charge following a 37-move win over Vladislav Kovalev.
In the Challengers category, in an all-India clash, Surya Shekhar Ganguly (6) drew with Nihal Sarin (5). Spain’s David Anton Guijarro (7) leads the field.
10th round results: Viswanathan Anand (4.5) drew with Nikita Vitiugov (Rus, 3.5); Magnus Carlsen (Nor, 6.5) bt Vladislav Kovalev (Blr, 3); Fabinao Caruana (USA, 7) bt Alireza Firouzja (FIDE, 5.5); Jeffery Xiong (USA, 4.5) bt Vladislav Artemiev (Rus, 4.5); Yu Yangyi (Chn,3.5) drew with Wesley So (USA, 6); Daniil Dubov (Rus, 5) drew with Anish Giri (Ned, 5); Jorden van Foreest (Ned, 6) drew with Jan-Krzysztof Duda (Pol, 5.5).
- India to tour Sri Lanka in July-August, 2024 for six-match white-ball series
- 2023 Vijay Hazare Trophy LIVE Score, Round 4: Baroda 54/4 in 167-run chase vs TN; Mumbai beats Pondicherry by 7 wickets; Saurashtra eyes big win vs Odisha
- IND vs AUS, 3rd T20I: With so much dew even 14 runs per over would have been chased, says Gaikwad defending Prasidh and co.
- India’s Ashwal Rai, Muthusamy urge home support during Volleyball Club World Championships 2023
- Barca has shown ‘winning mentality’ in Champions League, says Xavi