Fourth seed D. Harika and National champion Padmini Rout sailed into the pre-quarterfinals of the Women World chess championship by coming out stronger in the two-game tie-breakers here on Thursday.
Continuing her impressive run, Padmini upstaged eighth seeded Chinese Zhao Xue 1.5-0.5 after winning the first of the two 25-minute rapid games. After winning with black pieces in 65 moves, she drew the next in 76 moves having reached a winning position in the end.
Earlier, Harika overcame Kazakhstan’s Dinara Saduakassova in 57 moves and returned to gain a much-needed draw with black pieces in 49 moves. Harika, a two-time semifinalist, will now take on Georgia’s Sopiko Guramishvili, rated 2370, while Padmini gears up for China’s Tan Zhongyi, rated 2502.
- World Cup 2023: England team preview, squad, key players, form and prediction
- India vs South Korea LIVE Score, Asian Games 2023 hockey semis: Hardik, Mandeep, Lalit score as IND leads 3-1 vs KOR after first-quarter
- Asian Games 2023 Live Updates, October 4: Lovlina gets silver in 75kg boxing, IND 3-0 KOR in hockey semifinal; Jyothi-Ojas bag archery gold
- Asian Games 2023: Lovlina Borgohain wins boxing silver in women’s 75kg
- Asian Games 2023: Overall medals tally October 4 - LIVE - India 4th with 74 medals, 16 gold; Lovlina gets silver; Ojas-Jyothi win archery gold; Eye on Neeraj