Indian pugilists acquitted themselves by making progress in the boxing event of the XXI Commonwealth Games here on Saturday.
The day saw all three of the boxers, who took to the ring, emerge victorious with a superior display. Sarita Devi featuring in the women’s 60kg (round of 16) won on points against Kimberly Gittens (Barbados), while, in the men’s section, Manoj Kumar advanced in the round of 16 in the 69kg class outpointing Kassim Mbundwike (Tanzania) and Hussamuddin Mohammed followed suit in the 56kg category by winning over Boe Warawara (Vanuatu).
In squash, the Indian challenge which was kept alive by Joshna Chinappa ended tamely what with the Chennai-based player losing tamely to New Zealand’s Joelle King in the women’s singles quarterfinals, 11-5, 11-6, 11-9 in just a little over half an hour.
In basketball too, there was reason for dismay, as the Indian men and women teams lost for a second straight game. The men side was mercilessly beaten by England (100-54), while the women’s side went down fighting to Malaysia (85-72).
Yogeshwar Singh, making his appearance in the men’s individual all-around final in gymnastics finished 14th with a total of 75.600, while B. Aruna Reddy and Pranati Das were placed 14th and 16th in the corresponding women’s event with totals of 44.400 and 43.900.
Sajan Prakash and Srihari Nataraj created new National records in the men’s 200m butterfly and 50m backstroke in the heats but were unable to come anywhere near their morning performances in the final in which they finished eighth and fifth respectively.
- Flintoff back to old self after horror crash: Trescothick
- Paris 2024 Women’s Football: We want to play at Olympics with right conditions, says Spain’s Caldentey
- Slovenia forward Benjamin Sesko tired of Erling Haaland comparisons after good start in Bundesliga
- BCCI records a rise of nearly 2200 crore rupees in revenue at Annual General Meeting 2023
- East Bengal vs Jamshedpur FC highlights, ISL 2023-24: Poor finishing leads to goalless draw between EB and JFC in their season opener