Ashes in doubt for Coulter-Nile with back trouble

Australian seamer Nathan Coulter-Nile is likely ruled out of the Ashes after he suffered a fresh back problem.

Nathan Coulter-Nile has aggravated his old stress fracture, according to Alex Countouris.   -  AFP

Australian fast bowler Nathan Coulter-Nile will take a “short break” after suffering a fresh back problem, Cricket Australia said on Friday, probably ruling him out of the coming Ashes series. Coulter-Nile, 30, has a history of spinal stress fractures and the latest setback appears to end his chances of being a back-up to Australia’s pace trio Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood and Pat Cummins against England.

Read: Collingwood makes England 'comeback'

“Nathan experienced some pain in his back following the two-day tour match against England last week,” CA’s sports medicine manager Alex Kountouris said.

“Subsequent scans have revealed an early stage aggravation of his old stress fracture. Whilst this is a setback, the good news is that it has been picked up early so we are only considering a short break from bowling while we monitor him.”

Read: This England leggie learnt his art from an Aussie

Kountouris said Coulter-Nile will have further scans over the next month to determine when he can return to bowling. The five-Test Ashes series starts on November 23.

Coulter-Nile has yet to play a Test match, but has made 21 One-Day International and 19 Twenty20 International appearance for Australia.

Support Sportstar


Dear Reader,

Support our journalism — where text and pictures intermingle so seamlessly — and help us scale up your experience as the world changes around us. Your contribution is vital to our brand of uninfluenced, boots-on-the-ground reportage that’s worth your while. Clickbait sensationalism is not for us, but editorial independence is — we owe it to you.

  Dugout videos