BCCI ruling on Ajit Chandila, Hiken Shah on January 6

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has postponed its ruling on the possible sanctions against off-spinner Ajit Chandila and batsman Hiken Shah, for their alleged participation in anti-corruption activities in the Indian Premier League (IPL).

Ajit Chandila was acquitted by a trial court alongside S. Sreesanth, Ankit Chavan and Amit Singh earlier this year.   -  R. V. Moorthy

Hiken Shah was suspended by the BCCI after he was alleged to have approached a player for a fixing proposal.   -  AP

The Board of Control for Cricket in India’s Disciplinary Committee hopes to conclude IPL-related disciplinary action against cricketers Ajit Chandila and Hiken Shah and Pakistan umpire Asad Rauf when it next meets on January 5.

Off-spinner Chandila and Rauf are alleged to have been involved in cases of spot-fixing in IPL 2013, while Shah is supposed to have made an unethical approach to Mumbai and Rajasthan Royals leg-spinner Pravin Tambe before the start of IPL 2015.

The Disciplinary Committee — comprising BCCI president Shashank Manohar, former secretary Niranjan Shah and Jyotiraditya Scindia (via video conference) — completed specific procedural formalities on Thursday and asked Chandila to respond to specific questions by January 5.

“I hope the BCCI gives me justice,” said Chandila, during his short interaction with the media. “I was asked the same questions that the Delhi Police had asked me and I gave them (DC) the same answers. My only aim is to play for State and country.”

The BCCI has given Shah a copy of the chargesheet prepared by the BCCI’s former ACSU chief, Ravi Sawani, and has asked him to reply by January 5. The BCCI has also decided to send Rauf a copy and ask him to appear in Mumbai. But it's unlikely that he will travel because he may be arrested on arrival. “If he doesn’t show up on January 5, the Disciplinary Committee may take an ex-parte decision,” said a BCCI official.

A BCCI press release said: “Ajit Chandila and Hiken Shah appeared in person before the Committee. The duo has been given time till January 4, 2016, to file a written response to the charges against them. The committee also decided to issue a notice to former Pakistan umpire Asad Rauf to respond to the charges against him.”