David Warner seeks 'couple of days' to speak on ball tampering

"At the moment, my priority is to get these kids in bed, and rest up and get my mind a bit clear so I can think, and talk in a couple of days. Thanks guys," Warner said.

David Warner and his family arrive at the Sydney airport on Thursday.   -  Cricket Australia /Twitter

David Warner arrived at Sydney Airport from Johannesburg this evening and sought a couple of days time to give his statement on the ball-tampering scandal.

Cricket Australia named David Warner as the key instigator on Wednesday and was suspended for a period of 12 months. The CA came down hard on the former vice-captain, saying he can never again hold a leadership position with the national side.

The 31-year-old was also charged with providing advice to a junior player on how to tamper with the ball "including demonstrating how it could be done".

Upon arrival at the Sydney airport with his wife and younger daughters, Warner offered a brief statement to the waiting media.

"As you can understand, it has been a tough, emotional time for my wife and kids," he said, when asked if he knew head coach Darren Lehmann had just resigned in South Africa.

"At the present time, you'll hear from me in a couple of days.

"At the moment, my priority is to get these kids in bed, and rest up and get my mind a bit clear so I can think, and talk in a couple of days. Thanks guys."

Earlier on Thursday, Warner broke his silence on social media, posting the following message:

"To cricket fans in Australia and all over the world: I am currently on my way back to Sydney. Mistakes have been made which have damaged cricket. I apologise for my part and take responsibility for it. I understand the distress this has caused the sport and its fans. Its a stain on the game we all love and I have loved since I was a boy. I need to take a deep breath and spend time with my family, friends and trusted advisers. You will hear from me in a few days. (sic).