Welcome to Sportstar 's live commentary of the first day of the quarterfinals of Ranji Trophy 2018-19.
Our reporters Amol Karkadkar (Nagpur), Ashwin Achal (Bengaluru) and P. K. Ajith Kumar (Wayanad) will be sending us periodic updates straight from the venues.
- Vidarbha vs Uttarakhand: Finally! Gurbani gets Malolan Rangarajan's wicket who wasn't at much ease anyway. Uttarakhand 292/6
- Kerala vs Gujarat: Kerala's potent new-ball duo making life difficult for Gujarat. Sandeep Warrier and Basil Thampi have taken two wickets apiece to reduce the visitors to 83 for four in 29 overs. Happily for Kerala, both Priyank Panchal and Parthiv Patel have been dismissed.
- Karnataka vs Rajasthan: Rajasthan folds for 224 at Chinnaswamy. In a matter of four runs the side lost its last four wickets. Last man to go is R K Bishnoi for 79(119). Abhimanyu Mithun takes the wicket and Vinay Kumar, the catch.
- Vidarbha vs Uttarakhand: Saurabh Rawat has crossed the fifty but Malolan Rangarajan is looking scratchy at the other end. Rajneesh Gurbani gets the second new ball to jag back into Malolan but umpire Amish Saheba turns down the appeal, perhaps because the impact was marginally outside off-stump.
- Kerala vs Gujarat: Meanwhile, Gujarat getting a taste of its own medicine as it continues to collapse. Rahul Shah goes now, trapped in front by today's highest run-getter for Kerala, Basil Thampi. Gujarat 75/4.
- Saurashtra vs Uttar Pradesh: Upendra Yadav goes, trapped in front by D A Jadeja for 26 off 68 balls. Uttar Pradesh 296/7.
- Saurashtra vs Uttar Pradesh: That's the biggest fish in the net! Rinku Singh's wicket finally falls but only after he has contributed 150 off 181 balls to the side's total. Uttar Pradesh 282/6
- Vidarbha vs Uttarakhand: Sudha top-edges offie Akshay Wakhare and the offie accepts a return catch to leave the debutante nine runs short of what would have been a hundred on debut.
- Vidarbha vs Uttarakhand: Sudha steps out to left-arm spinner Sarvate for an aerial inside-out four to enter into the 90s.
- Kerala vs Gujarat: Sandeep Warrier has taken two wickets to lift the morale of Kerala, which could score only 185 after being put in by Gujarat. The swing bowler has now 33 wickets in the competition. At tea, Gujarat 31 for two in 10 overs. Parthiv Patel not out on 14, Rahul Shah 4. Much to the relief of the host, the dangerous Priyanka Panchal is back in the pavilion.
- Vidarbha vs Uttarakhand: Avneesh Sudha digs out an Umesh yorker off the last ball before tea to receive a standing ovation from his team. Uttarakhand 216 for 4, with Sudha having moved to 86. Can he get a hundred on debut?
- Kerala vs Gujarat: My, oh, my, Warrier does it again! Kathan Patel is the victim now. Gujarat 14/2.
- Kerala vs Gujarat: And Gujarat loses its first wicket in no time as well. Sandeep Warrier gets his 32nd wicket this season as he cleans up Priyank Panchal. He is in the form of his life. Gujarat 9/1
- Vidarbha vs Uttarakhand: Saurabh Rawat opens his account with a square drive off Umesh Yadav. Uttarakhand would hope that Rawat, one of the four double centurions for Uttarakhand this season, would continue the good work with debutante Avneesh Sidhu, who has entered the 70s.
- Vidarbha vs Uttarakhand: Panwar finally runs out of luck. He nicks offie Akshay Wakhare and Akshay Wadkar does not miss it this time around. The leftie batsman is dismissed for 67 and his 140-run partnership has given Uttarakhand a chance to put on a respectable total. 184 for 4.
- Kerala vs Gujarat: Kerala's first innings has come to an end at 185. Basil Thampi, who came in at No.9, is the top-scorer, with 37 off 33 balls. It was a fine effort by the Gujarat seamers in helpful conditions. Four wickets for Chintan Gaja and three each for Roosh Kalaria and Arzan Nagwaswalla.
- Vidarbha vs Uttarakhand: Vidarbha captain Faiz Fazal had agreed that "catching has been a grey area" for his team right through the season. Hopefully, today's two missed chances won't cost the team dear.
- Vidarbha vs Uttarakhand: Panwar seems to be riding on a fortunate wave. Having been dropped on keeper Akshay Wadkar off Rajneesh Gurbani earlier in the morning when he was on 33, Panwar gets a second reprieve, with R. Sanjay's lunge to his left off results in the cherry being spilled from his palms off Suniket Bingwar. Panwar survives on 54, Vidarbha 167 for 3
- Karnataka vs Rajasthan: Ronit More takes a good catch to dismiss Salman Khan off Abhimanyu Mithun. Rajasthan is in dire straits at 111/5.
- Kerala vs Gujarat: It is turning out to be an excellent toss for Gujarat. Its seamers are having a ball on an evidently green track at the Wayanad Cricket Stadium and have reduced Kerala to 157 for seven in the 35th over, 40 minutes into the second session. Adding to the worries for the host is the fact that Sanju Samson has had to retire, after being hurt by a nasty ball -- from Arzan Nagwaswalla -- that hit his hand. The left-armer has three wickets and two each for Roosh Kalaria and Chintan Gaja. Opener P. Rahul is the highest scorer, with 26.
- Kerala vs Gujarat: Another one bites the dust! Vishnu Vinod who was looking to steady things loses his wicket as well. R B Kalaria traps him plumb in front for 19. Kerala 146/7
- Kerala vs Gujarat: Kerala loses its sixth wicket immediately after lunch. Nagwaswalla sends Jalaj Saxena back to the pavilion. The 32-year-old all-rounder could just make 14.
- Vidarbha vs Uttarakhand: A risky single in the last over before lunch takes him to fifty. An unbroken 94-run partnership for fourth wicket between Avneesh Sidhu and leftie Vaibhav Panwar helps Uttarakhand sail to 138 for three at the break.
- Vidarbha vs Uttarakhand: Avneesh Sidhu is having an impressive debut. Coming in for captain Rajat Bhatia, the U-19 batsman has faced all the Vidarbha bowlers with little trouble. An exquisite cover drive off Umesh is the shot of the day so far.
- Karnataka vs Rajasthan: Bist gets a debatable LBW decision against him. Seemed like the ball struck high, and outside off. Bist indicates the same to umpire Nanda Kishore, but the damage is done.
- Kerala vs Gujarat: Kerala in deep trouble, losing half of its side before reaching hundred. Vinoop Manoharan is latest batsman to walk back after he edges a catch to Parthiv Patel in Chintan Gaja's bowling. Kerala 98/5.
- Karnataka vs Rajasthan: Chetan Bist departs after making 39 from 72 balls after he bowled by Shreyas Gopal. Rajasthan 64/2.
- Saurashtra vs Uttar Pradesh: Devendrasinh Jadeja sends back Aksh Deep Nath, who looked set, for 17. Uttar Pradesh 54/4.
- Saurashtra vs Uttar Pradesh: Madhav Kaushik is caught by Arpit Vasavada in Devendrasinh Jadeja's bowling on 37. Uttar Pradesh 54/3.
- Kerala vs Gujarat: Kerala captain Sachin Baby is gone for a duck in A. Nagwasvalla's bowling. Kerala four wickets down for 52.
- Kerala vs Gujarat: Kerala loses its second and third wicket in quick succession. Rahul P gone for 26, Sijomon Joseph out for 8. Kerala 52/3
- Kerala vs Gujarat: Greetings from the lovely Wayanad Cricket Stadium, where Gujarat has put Kerala in to bat first. The host is 42/1 in the ninth over. Mornings are usually cold in this time of the year in Wayanad -- it is 17 degree Celsius now -- and it would get warmer as the day progresses.
Mohammed Azharuddeen (17) is the batsman out, bowled by a ball that came in, from Roosh Kalaria. Opener P. Rahul is on 19 and Sijomon Joseph on five.
In team news, Jalaj Saxena has replaced V.A. Jagadeesh, the only change for Kerala, while for Gujarat, Rahul Shah and Arzan Nagwaswalla have come in for the injured Manpreet Juneja and Siddharth Desai.
- Vidarbha vs Uttarakhand: Umesh Yadav is introduced into the attack in the sxith over, is welcomed with a pull by Karan Kaushal but the fiery pacer takes only four balls to beat a batsman with pace and Vaibhav Bhatt had to be attended to by the team doctor. In his next over, Yadav finds Bhatt struck in the crease and an edge is pouched by R Sanjay at first slip. At 31 for 2, Uttarakhand is in danger of being folded up early
- Kerala vs Gujarat: Mohammed Azharuddeen departs for 17 in Roosh Kalaria's bowling. Kerala 29/1
- Karnataka vs Rajasthan: Vinay castles Amit Gautam early. Gets one to move in from length, goes through bat and pad. Skipper and in form Mahipal Lomror, 19, comes in. Rajasthan 18/1.
- Vidarbha vs Uttarakhand: Rajneesh Gurbani justifies Faiz Fazal's decision to insert Uttarakhand in, breaching veteran Vineet Saxena's defence in the opening over. Umesh Yadav, meanwhile, hasn't been using the new ball, with lanky Suniket Bingewar operating from the other end.
- Saurashtra vs Uttar Pradesh: Unadkat strikes again, this time he sends back Mohammed Saif for a nought. Uttar Pradesh 7/2.
- Saurashtra vs Uttar Pradesh: Jayadev Unadkat traps Rahul Rawat leg before for a duck. Uttar Pradesh 5/1.
- Vidarbha vs Uttarakhand: Uttarakhand loses first wicket in the first over! Vineet Saxena is bowled by R.N. Gurbani for 5. Uttarkhand 6/1.
- Karnataka vs Rajasthan: Karnataka goes with a predictable eleven. No space for pacer Prasidh, it's down to the trusted trio of Vinay, Mithun and More. Gowtham and Gopal take on spin duties. Rajasthan leave out Nathu Singh, who has had a good season for far. The in-form Rajasthan left-arm pace duo of Aniket and Tanveer hold the key. Karnataka won the toss and elected to field. Usual theories about using the new ball in helpful morning conditions apply. Karnataka has been at the wrong end of a couple of early finishes in away matches this season, but this scenario is unlikely to play out at the Chinnaswamy Stadium.
- Karnataka won the toss and elected to field against Rajasthan.
- Gujarat won the toss and elected to field against Kerala.
- Uttar Pradesh won the toss and elected to bat against Saurashtra.
- Vidarbha won the toss and elected to bat against Uttarakhand.
Kerala: Sachin Baby (captain), P. Rahul, Vinoop S. Manoharan, V. A. Jagadeesh, Mohammed Azharuddeen, Sanju Samson, Vishnu Vinod, Sijomon Joseph, Sandeep Warrier, Basil Thampi, M. D. Nidheesh, Rohan Prem, Jalaj Saxena, K. Monish, Arun Karthik, Akshay Chandran and Abhishek Mohan.
Gujarat: Parthiv Patel (captain), Kathan Patel, Priyank Panchal, Rujul Bhatt, Roosh Kalaria, Axar Patel, Chintan Gaja, Piyush Chawla, Arzan Nagwaswalla, Karan Patel, Siddharth Desai, Dhruv Raval, Parth Vaghani, Chirag Gandhi and Rahul Shah
Vidarbha: Faiz Fazal (C), Ganesh Satish, Wasim Jaffer, Aditya Sarvate, Pawan Parnate (WK), Atharva Taide, Siddhesh Wath (WK), Akshay Wakhare, Akshay Wadkar (WK), Rajneesh Gurbani, R. Sanjay, Akshay Karnewar, Suniket Bingewar, Umesh Yadav, Yash Thakur, Mohit Kale, Akshay Kolhar
Uttarakhand: Vineet Saxena (C), Malolan Rangarajan, Saurabh Rawat (WK), Sunny Rana, Sunny Kashyap, Vaibhav Bhatt, Vaibhav Panwar, Deepak Dhapola, Mayank Mishra, Dhanraj Sharma, Karanveer Kaushal, Kartik Joshi, Shivam Khurana (WK), Girish Katuri, Avneesh Sudha
Saurashtra: Snell Patel(w), Harvik Desai, Vishvaraj Jadeja, Sheldon Jackson, Aarpit Vasavada, Prerak Mankad, Cheteshwar Pujara, Chirag Jani, Kamlesh Makvana, Dharmendrasinh Jadeja, Jaydev Unadkat(c), Chetan Sakariya, Hardik Rathod, Jay Chauhan, Samarth Vyas, Agnivesh Ayachi
Uttar Pradesh: Akshdeep Nath(c), Upendra Yadav(w), Samarth Singh, Rinku Singh, Shivam Chaudhary, Umang Sharma, Priyam Garg, Saurabh Kumar, Ankit Rajpoot, Yash Dayal, Dhruv Pratap Singh, Imtiaz Ahmed, Mohammad Saif, Zeeshan Ansari, Madhav Kaushik, Shivam Mavi, Suresh Raina
Rajasthan: Mahipal Lomror(c), Deepak Chahar, Rajesh Bishnoi Jr, Chetan Bist, Robin Bist, Rahul Chahar, Aniket Choudhary, Amitkumar Gautam, Arjit Gupta, Salman Khan, Manender Narender Singh, Ashok Menaria, Nathu Singh, Tajinder Singh, TM Ul-Haq
Karnataka: M Prasidh, B R Sharath (W), Shubhang Hegde, Karun Nair, Manish Pandey (C), Shreyas Gopal, Suchith J, Nischal D, Samarth R, Ronit More, Siddharth K V