A fluent unbeaten century by Sudip Chatterjee and his 153-run partnership for the third wicket with captain Manoj Tiwary put Bengal in a commanding position (at 341 for three) against Services on the opening day of the Ranji Trophy match at the Palam ground here on Friday.
In compiling his ninth first-class century, the 25-year-old Sudip hit eleven fours. The openers Abhishek Raman
and Abhimanyu Easwaran gave a rousing start for Bengal, after it was asked to bat, with a 97-run partnership, before both were dismissed by medium pacer Sachidanand Pandey.
Tiwary was more enterprising in his 97-ball knock as he hammered two sixes and six fours before being trapped by leg spinner Muzzaffaruddin Khalid Ahmad, for a brisk 69.
Bengal paced the innings nicely, scoring about 100 runs every session.
In the last hour, wicket-keeper batsman Wriddhiman Saha shared a healthy partnership with Sudip Chatterjee, as he helped himself to two boundaries, including a six, even as Bengal attempted to consolidate on the gains and be prepared for another strong batting fare on the morrow.
While Sachidanand Pandey and Khalid Ahmad managed to bag the wickets, the rest struggled to make an impact, or restrict the flow of runs, after the opening bowlers Diwash Gurdev Pathania and Suraj Yadav kept the flow of runs in check.
- Asian Games 2023 LIVE updates, Hangzhou 2022 medals tally: India wins 2 bronze in speed skating 3000m relay; Vithya Ramraj equals PT Usha’s national record in 400m hurdles heat
- Table Tennis Live Score, Asian Games 2023: Sutirtha, Ayhika face North Korea in TT Semifinal, When and where to watch
- Biles makes spectacular return at gymnastics worlds
- Tejaswin Shankar: Paris Olympics might be my last as a high jumper
- Juventus and Atalanta draw 0-0 in Serie A