South African fast bowler Dale Steyn was named as the replacement for injured Sri Lankan seamer Lasith Malinga in the Jamaica Tallawahs team to play in the Caribbean Premier League.
Steyn will be making his debut in the six-franchise Twenty20 tournament which runs from June 30-August 7.
Malinga has been ruled out with a knee injury sustained during the West Indies series back in November 2015. Despite featuring briefly in the Asia Cup, he has been unavailable since then and missed out on the World T20 and the ongoing Indian Premier League.
“It is a great privilege to feature in the CPL for the first time and I am proud and delighted to sign up for the Jamaica Tallawahs for the forthcoming CPL season,” said Steyn.
“There are some outstanding world-class players signed up across all six teams and I’m looking forward to playing against some of my great friends and team-mates, amongst them Hashim Amla, AB (de Villiers), Faf (du Plessis), David Miller and Morne (Morkel) this summer. It will certainly add a nice bit of spice to the mix.”
The CPL will this year also stage six matches in Florida as cricket makes another attempt to break the packed US sports market.
Latest on Sportstar
- Ferrari takes first pole in 50 years as Le Mans turns 100
- Pep Guardiola, the sought-after philosopher coach, chases holy grail of Champions League for Manchester City
- Duleep Trophy 2023: Rongsen Jonathan to lead Northeast Zone
- Swiatek’s safety net on clay a big confidence booster
- French Open: Haddad Maia takes positives from best Grand Slam run