Tom Latham and Mitchell Santner were in for a shock as a fan streaked across the pitch during New Zealand’s crucial World Cup fixture against England here on Wednesday.
At the Riverside, a streaker with a green wig stormed into the field of play to have a chat with the two New Zealand batsmen in the 33rd over.
Before the stewards rushed to the spot, he ran around the ground amid fits of laughter from the stands. It was not easy for the security officers to catch hold of the middle-aged fan, who did a cartwheel on the square. The incident left the players stunned.
In Pakistan’s last group league game against Afghanistan in Leeds last week, a group of fans had invaded the ground to shake hands with the players, but this was completely different — a wobbly human frolicking across the grass.
In 2016, a Brisbane-based Australian fan was sentenced to a week in jail for streak at Pallekele stadium as Australia played Sri Lanka. He was also imposed a fine of $28 for ‘public exposure’.
- World Cup 2023: Pakistan vs New Zealand warm-up match to be played behind closed doors
- AFC Cup: Mohun Bagan beats Odisha FC 4-0, begins campaign in style
- Odisha FC vs Mohun Bagan SG AFC Cup HIGHLIGHTS: OFC 0-4 MBSG, Dimitri scores brace as Mariners demolish Juggernauts
- Why was Ravichandran Ashwin picked in ODI team despite not playing the format since Jan 2022
- Asian Games 2023, September 20: Indians in Action, schedule, events, LIVE streaming details, timings in IST