T20 World Cup 2021: SA's Quinton de Kock agrees to take the knee

South African wicket-keeper Quinton de Kock has said he will take the knee for the remainder of South Africa's matches at the ongoing T20 World Cup.

File photo of South Africa's Quinton de Kock.   -  AP

South African wicket-keeper Quinton de Kock has said he will take the knee for the remainder of South Africa's matches at the ongoing T20 World Cup.

In a tweet posted on Cricket South Africa's Twitter handle, de Kock started by apologising to his teammates and added if the intention behind taking the knee was to educate others and make lives better, he was happy to do so.

"I would like to start by saying sorry to my teammates, and the fans back home.

I never ever wanted to make this a Quinton issue. I understand the importance of standing against racism, and I also understand the responsibility of us as players to set an example.

If me taking a knee helps to educate others, and makes the lives of others better, I am more than happy to do so," The Cricket South African statement read, on behalf of the wicketkeeper batsman.

 

The 28-year-old wicket-keeper opted out of his team's first Group 1 clash against West Indies on Tuesday, citing 'personal reasons'.

Later, post South Africa's eight-wicket win over West Indies, skipper Temba Bavuma said that de Kock's decision was respected by the team and at the time, admitted he was not sure what this issue would have developed into.

In this episode of Matchpoint Paradox, our correspondents Ayan Acharya and Amol Karhadkar review the latest from the T20 World Cup and other major updates from the world of cricket this past week.


South Africa is currently at fourth place on the points table with two points beside its name and takes on Sri Lanka next in Sharjah on Saturday.

On Wednesday night, the Cricket South Africa Board chairman and two directors had a word with the men's Proteas team and management to discuss the Board's directive regarding "taking the knee."

The Board representatives clarified the Board position and engaged with the issues raised by the players.

"Following the meeting, the Proteas men's team agreed to align and unify in taking the knee for the remaining fixtures of the World Cup campaign. CSA has also noted the statement issued by Quentin de Kock in which he too has agreed to take the knee and issued an apology," said CSA in an official statement.

"The CSA is fully supportive of the Protea Men's team and its captain Temba Bavuma and looks forward to continued successes by the Proteas at the World Cup,"it added.

Cricket South Africa has welcomed all of these developments. "Taking a united stance against racism is a moral issue, not a political issue. The CSA Board regrets that the timing of its directive earlier this week may have been unsettling for the players in the lead-up to the match against the West Indies," said the board.

  - ANI

For more updates, follow Sportstar on :