Ravi Shastri treats Cheteshwar Pujara as a special player. Just as Kapil Dev treated Shastri as one!
Speaking at a panel discussion on Rajdeep Sardesai’s book ‘ Democracy’s XI: The Great Indian Cricket Story ’, the India team coach said that Pujara deserved to be in the top bracket of the central contracts.
“If you want to attract players to play Test cricket you would have to give them security. Pujara is your specialist batsman in Tests and deserves a hefty central contract,” said Shastri.
On the same subject, Kapil Dev said, “Do you question businessmen or actors why they get so much money? I don’t understand why do people ask questions when sportsmen make money. Why not? Most of them don’t have a career of more than 10 years. What is wrong if they get paid handsomely? I have seen some former sportsmen in dire straits financially. Would anyone be happy to see the sporting heroes in poor financial state?”
Answering a question on how did he react to heckling by the crowd during his playing days, Shastri said, “I was inspired more to play better.” He was supported by Kapil Dev, “You must realise that Ravi would be batting slow under instructions from the captain. Often I told him to just stay at the crease and allow us to take chances at the other end.”
- Mohun Bagan vs Maziya LIVE updates, MBSG 1-1 MAZ, AFC Cup 2023-24: Shareef double save denies Petratos, Cummings
- Asian Games 2023: Overall medals tally, October 2 - Parul, Priti win women’s 3000m SC silver and bronze; Ancy wins long jump silver; Ayhika-Sutirtha pair wins TT bronze; India stays 4th with 60 medals, 13 golds
- Asian Games 2023: North Korean Kim Il Gyong breaks world record as weightlifting dominance continues
- ISL 2023-24: Hyderabad FC’s Laxmikant Kattimani to undergo facial surgery after injury against East Bengal
- New Zealand vs South Africa LIVE SCORE, World Cup 2023 warm-up: Scorecard, match streaming updates