Opener Washington Sundar struck a fluent fifty to back up the efforts of his bowlers as India Under-19 team outplayed Sri Lankan colts by five wickets in the tri-series cricket final here on Sunday.
Chasing 159 for victory at the R Premadasa Stadium, the Indian juniors rode on a solid 89-run opening stand between Sundar (56) and Rishabh Pant (35) to achieve the target in 33.5 overs.
Left-arm spinner Damitha Silva did pick up three wickets to cause a bit of a stutter in the Indian chase but Ricky Bhui (29 not out) made sure the visitors pocket the summit clash with ease and remain unbeaten in the tournament.
Earlier electing to bat, Sri Lanka suffered from lack of partnerships to manage 158 all out in 47.2 overs.
Wicketkeeper-batsman Vishad Randika top-scored with 58 runs, while left-arm pacer Khaleel Ahmed bagged three wickets.
Pace spearhead Avesh Khan, medium-pacer Shubham Mavi and left-arm spinner Mayank Dagar picked two wickets each.
The third team in the tri-nation event, England U-19 remained winless in the four matches they played.
Sri Lanka Under-19 , 158 all out in 47.2 overs (Vishad Randika 58, Damitha Silva 23; Khaleel Ahmed 3-29) lost to India Under-19 , 159/5 in 33.5 overs (Washington Sundar 56, Rishabh Pant 35; Damitha Silva 3-18).
- IND vs AUS Live Score 1st ODI: Cummins gets Kishan as India loses four wickets in 277 chase
- India rides on ‘tsunami’ of morale boost, reaches volleyball top 6 round in Asian Games 2023
- T20 World Cup 2024: Full list of venues for men’s WC, seven in Caribbean, three in USA
- ICC Men’s T20 World Cup venues confirmed: Dallas, Florida and New York get the nod
- MotoGP Indian Grand Prix: Luca Marini clocks fastest time in Practice