Gujarat Titans’ Rashid Khan smashed a quickfire and unbeaten 32-ball 79 to register the highest-ever score by a No. 8 batter in Indian Premier League (IPL) history on Friday.
After winning the toss at the Wankhede stadium, Gujarat Titans skipper Hardik Pandya asked Mumbai Indians to bat. Powered by Suryakumar Yadav’s maiden IPL century, Mumbai posted a daunting 218 for five in the first innings.
Mumbai’s Impact Player Akash Madhwal made early inroads for his side, dismissing Wriddhiman Saha in the second over. Rohit Sharma’s bowlers then found breakthroughs at regular intervals as Titans were left reeling at 100 for seven.
What could’ve been a damaging loss for Gujarat turned out to be a close shave following Rashid’s swashbuckling knock that included three fours and 10 sixes.
Rashid bettered Pat Cummins’ score of 66, who had come in at No. 8 for Kolkata Knight Riders against Chennai Super Kings during an IPL 2021 fixture at the same venue.
Earlier in the first innings, Rashid scalped four wickets to overtake Rajasthan Royals’ Yuzvendra Chahal in the Purple Cap list this season. Rashid has 23 wickets under his belt.
Highest scores for a number eight batter:
- Rashid Khan: 79 runs for GT vs MI (2023)
- Pat Cummins: 66 runs for KKR vs CSK (2021)
- Harbhajan Singh: 64 runs for MI vs KXIP (2015)
- Live Score IND vs WI 2nd Test, Day 4: Chanderpaul, Blackwood take West Indies forward in 365 chase vs India
- They didn’t even try playing shots, Mhambrey on West Indies batters
- Hopman Cup: Croatia downs Switzerland to clinch title
- Jonas Vingegaard wins second successive Tour de France
- Wrestling trials for Asian Games: Upsets galore show past has little influence on the present