Gujarat Titans on Tuesday named Dasun Shanaka as the replacement for Kane Williamson for 2023 Indian Premier League (IPL). Williamson suffered an on-field injury to his right leg while attempting a catch at the boundary in the tournament opener against Chennai Super Kings at the Narendra Modi Stadium on Friday.
Shanaka, Sri Lanka’s white-ball captain, is an explosive middle-order batter who also bowls right-arm seam. In the recent T20I series in India, Shanaka smashed 124 runs in three innings at a strike rate of 187 while averaging 62.00.
He was also Sri Lanka’s leading run-scorer in the subsequent ODI series, scoring 121 runs in three innings.
Signed for his base price of Rs 50 lakh, this will be Shanaka’s maiden season in the IPL.
- Wahab Riaz announces retirement from international cricket
- Bayern Munich pins hopes on Harry Kane as Bundesliga returns
- Garcia set to make debut as Napoli begins title defence
- Carlos Alcaraz beats Jordan Thompson at Cincinnati Open 2023 for 50th win of season
- FIFA Women’s World Cup Semifinal: Australia vs England; Live Streaming info; Preview; head-to-head; When and where to watch?