Jharkhand wicketkeeper-batsman Ishan Kishan has been named captain of the India team for the ICC Under-19 World Cup to be held in Bangladesh from January 27 next year. Rishabh Pant, also a left-handed batsman who keeps wickets and is from Delhi, was named as his deputy by the national junior selection committee, headed by Venkatesh Prasad, which met here today, according to the BCCI’s official website, bcci.tv .
Three-time winners India are placed with Australia, New Zealand and Nepal in Group D and will play their first match against Australia on January 28 in Mirpur. India, who recently clinched the tri-series in Colombo after beating Sri Lanka colts in the finals, clash with New Zealand on January 30 in Mirpur and conclude their league engagement against Nepal on February 1.
The tournament is set to conclude on February 14 with South Africa trying to defend the title, which they won last year.
India U-19 Squad for ICC WC: Ishan Kishan (Capt), Rishabh Pant (VC), Washington Sundar, Sarfaraz Khan, Amandeep Khare - Part I— BCCI (@BCCI) >December 22, 2015
India U-19 Squad for ICC WC: Anmolpreet Singh, Arman Jaffer, Ricky Bhui, Mayank Dagar, Zeeshan Ansari, Mahipal Lomror, Avesh Khan -Part II— BCCI (@BCCI) >December 22, 2015
The Indian squad announced is as follows:
Ishan Kishan (Capt), Rishabh Pant (VC), Washington Sundar, Sarfaraz Khan, Amandeep Khare, Anmolpreet Singh, Arman Jaffer, Ricky Bhui, Mayank Dagar, Zeeshan Ansari, Mahipal Lomror, Avesh Khan, Shubham Mavi, Khaleel Ahmed and Rahul Batham.
- Shubhankar finishes eighth, achieves best ever result by an Indian at British Open
- What Google Won’t Tell You podcast: Murali Sreeshankar on long jump, basketball, speed cubing and sacrificing his beloved parotta
- Deodhar Trophy LIVE Score, Round 1: Central 30/0 (12 overs) v East; Sheth gets second wicket for West vs North East; streaming updates
- Formula 1: Hamilton takes positives from fourth in Hungary
- Novak Djokovic withdraws from Toronto tournament, opts for more rest after loss in Wimbledon final