Purnima Rau termed Indian women’s cricket team’s series triumph in the T20 series against Australia as “historic”.
“It gives the team a feeling of being on top of the world,” added the coach of the Indian women’s cricket team.
“Beating World champions Australia in their own backyard is something really special and unforgettable,” the former India captain remarked.
India won the second T20 International in Melbourne today to take a winning 2-0 lead in the three-match series.
“This is a huge positive sign ahead of the T20 World Cup in India. The mood is positive and aggressive. This is how exactly we have to play against formidable opponents,” remarked Purnima who, like India skipper Mithali Raj, hails from Hyderabad.
“I can vouch for the fact that this is the result of lots of hard work and planning. The best part is that we excelled in all departments of the game,” Purnima said after India outplayed Australia in the match.
“Yes, it doesn’t mean we can be satisfied or be laidback. There is always scope for improvement and I am glad that the girls are showing great determination and the zeal to keep improving,” she said.
“I am really proud of this Indian team and hope it will continue to do well,” Purnima observed.
Reflecting on Sania Mirza and her partner Martina Hingis winning the women’s doubles at the Australian Open today, Purnima said it was another fantastic victory for the Hyderabadi.
Overall, it was a great day for Indians in Melbourne, as Purnima later watched Dhoni’s mean beat Australia in the second T20I in the evening.
- MotoGP Indian Grand Prix: Martin wins Sprint Race after pole-sitter Bezzecchi collides with teammate
- Rwanda women’s football coach suspended for saying Ghanaian rivals were ‘like men’
- India vs Chinese Taipei LIVE streaming info: When and where to watch Indian women’s football match?
- ISL 2023-24: Mohun Bagan Super Giant begins title defence in style with 3-1 win against Punjab FC
- Man City beats Nottingham Forest 2-0 despite Rodri red card