Sandpaper Gate: Bancroft backtracks on ball-tampering claims

Bancroft, who is currently playing for Durham in the English County Championship, has responded to CA's integrity unit regarding the ball-tampering incident.

Bancroft

Cameron Bancroft served a nine-month ban from international cricket imposed by Cricket Australia.   -  Getty Images

Cameron Bancroft has informed Cricket Australia (CA) that he has no new information about the 2018 ball-tampering scandal, backtracking on his earlier claims that the bowlers might be aware of the illegal plot during the Newlands Test, according to a report.

Wriddhiman Saha recovers from COVID, available for India's England tour  

It has now emerged that Bancroft, who is currently playing for Durham in the English County Championship, has responded to CA's integrity unit, which had reached out to him in search of new information on the infamous incident.

"Bancroft, who is playing county cricket in the UK, had responded overnight on Monday in a conciliatory manner and indicated that he did not have significant new information to share with CA," the Sydney Morning Herald newspaper, quoting sources familiar with the situation, reported.

Gilchrist on ball-tampering scandal: CA didn't fully investigate Sandpaper Gate  

"Bancroft is said to have told CA he is supportive of the investigation and satisfied with the outcome," it added.

The report also stated that "the matter is now unlikely to escalate."

The 28-year-old Bancroft was caught on camera using sandpaper on the ball in the third Test against South Africa in 2018.

In the latest episode of MatchPoint Paradox, Vijay Lokapally, Shayan Acharya and Wriddhaayan Bhattacharyya leave the IPL behind and explore the developments heading up to the men's team's World Test Championship campaign. The trio also discuss the developments in the women's game this week.

 


In an interview last week, Bancroft was twice asked if the bowlers knew about his actions and both times he said it was “pretty self-explanatory”.

The trio of Bancroft, then skipper Steve Smith and his deputy David Warner were banned for their roles in the ball-tampering scandal.

While Bancroft was handed a nine-month ban, Smith and Warner were suspended for a year each.

For more updates, follow Sportstar on :