England women's cricket team has suffered a major blow as Sophie Ecclestone fractured the fifth metacarpal on her right hand and will fly home.
The England team officials have confirmed that Ecclestone sustained the injury in the warm-up ahead of Monday's second ODI .
Scans after the match revealed the extent of the injury, which will also rule her out of the upcoming tour of Sri Lanka.
Ecclestone joins fellow spinners Laura Marsh and Kirstie Gordon on the sidelines, although it is hoped that Marsh can return in time for the Sri Lanka leg of the trip.
A replacement for Ecclestone will be announced after the third ODI, which will be played at the Wankhede Stadium on Thursday.
- India 1-0 Bangladesh football HIGHLIGHTS, Asian Games: Chhetri scores as India beats Bangladesh to keep qualification hopes alive
- Asian Games 2023 LIVE updates, score from September 21: India beats Bangladesh football team 1-0, sailing events in progress
- Rain spoils India’s cricket debut in Asian Games; women’s team enters semis via seeding advantage
- England rests Root ahead of World Cup, Kohler-Cadmore called up for Ireland ODIs
- A cue to raise the profile of the sport