Steve Smith ruled out of third Ashes Test
Australia's Steve Smith was ruled out of the last day of the second Ashes Test with concussion against England at Lord's.
Steve Smith has been ruled out of the third Ashes Test.
Steve Smith has been officially ruled out of the third Ashes Test at Headingley, after he was withdrawn from the final day at Lord's due to delayed concussion.
Smith was hit by a Jofra Archer bouncer when on 80 in the second Test and retired hurt. He resumed his innings at the fall of the next wicket after 46 minutes off the field, and was eventually out for 92 — the first time this series he had been dismissed for fewer than 100 runs.
Marnus Labuschagne became the first concussion substitute in Test history after Australia's request was approved by match referee Ranjan Madugalle.
A Cricket Australia spokesman had said, “Steve reported that his left arm which was also struck (by Archer) during his innings yesterday was 'much better'.
The spokesman added that as part of further testing on Sunday, Smith “demonstrated some deterioration” from his testing which was consistent with the emergence of the symptoms he was reporting.
“On that basis Steve has been withdrawn from the match by team doctor Richard Saw,” the spokesman said.
Smith's prolific form has seen him rise to No.2 in the ICC Test batting rankings, just nine rating points behind India captain Virat Kohli.