Yuvraj Singh came to the under-fire Rishabh Pant’s rescue after the cricket fraternity, including former England star Kevin Pietersen, slammed the young batsman for his dismissal in India’s World Cup semifinal loss to New Zealand.
Pant, who came out to bat at the number four spot after the Indian top-order collapsed, got out to an extravagant shot after getting his eye in. Chasing 240, India lost the match by 18 runs eventually.
“How many times have we seen @RishabPant777 do that?????!!!!! The very reason he wasn’t picked initially! Pathetic!,” Pietersen tweeted after Pant’s dismissal to Mitchell Santner at Old Trafford on Wednesday.
Coming to Pant’s defence, Yuvraj replied, “He’s played 8 Odis! It’s not his fault he will learn and get better it’s not pathetic at all ! However we all are entitled to share our opinions.”
Indian captain Virat Kohli had also defended Pant after the match and believed that the immensely talented 21-year-old will learn from his mistake.
India were 71 for five when Pant got out.
- Former Junior World Champion Luguelin stripped of title and banned for three years for age manipulation
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023-24: Defending champion Saurashtra on brink of elimination as Mumbai registers fifth consecutive win
- Tottenham midfielder Bentancur likely out for about two months with ankle injury
- India vs Australia LIVE Score Updates, 4th T20I: Jitesh, Rinku cameos help India reach 174/9 in 20 overs; Streaming info
- Indian sports news wrap, December 1