Spain midfielder and women's Ballon d'Or winner Alexia Putellas has injured her knee ahead of the women's European Championship, the Spanish football federation (RFEF) said on Tuesday.
Putellas, who was also named the FIFA Best Women's Player earlier this year, was at the heart of the Barcelona women's team which won the Spanish league and finished runners-up in the Champions League.
She was the top scorer in the Champions League with 11 goals while she also finished with 18 strikes in the league.
"Alexia Putellas suffered a sprain in her left knee during the training session of the Spanish women's national team," RFEF said in a statement.
"Medical tests will determine the extent of the injury."
Spain, one of the favourites to lift the Euros, begins its group stage campaign against Finland in Milton Keynes, England on Friday.
- Asian Games 2023, September 27 Live Updates from Hangzhou 2022: Esha Singh bags silver in 25m pistol, Samra wins 50m rifle 3p gold with new WR; India beats Singapore 13-0 in hockey, tennis results
- IND vs AUS live score 3rd ODI: Australia wins toss and opts to bat
- Table Tennis LIVE Score, Asian Games 2023: India Men’s Doubles Round of 64, Mixed Doubles R-32 updates; Live action at 1:30pm
- Asian Games 2023: Esha Singh bags silver in 25m pistol women’s final, Manu Bhaker finishes fifth
- Shooting LIVE SCORE Asian Games 2023: Sift wins gold with WR, Ashi bronze in 50m rifle 3P; Esha wins 25m women’s pistol silver; India wins 25m women’s pistol team gold- Hangzhou 2022 updates