English Premier League side Arsenal has acquired the services of Jorginho from city rival Chelsea on Tuesday, the West London side confirmed on Wednesday (IST).
The Italian international is expected to sign a one-year contract with an option to extend by one year in a deal worth £12 million and has completed his medical with the Gunners.
Follow winter transfer deadline day LIVE - here
“A friendly and funny guy off the pitch, Jorginho leaves Chelsea with 213 appearances to his name and four winners’ medals, none more precious than the 2021 Champions League success in which he played a major part.” said Chelsea in an official statement released on its website.
The 31-year-old who joined Chelsea in 2018 from Napoli for a staggering £50 million, has been a pivotal figure in Chelsea’s setup and is known for his playmaking skills, orchesrating the central midfield area.
Jorginho has made 144 league appearances for the Blues, scoring 21 goals while assisting on five occasions.
Additionally, he won the UEFA best player in Europe for his exploits with Chelsea in its Champions League winning 2020-21 season under former manager Thomas Tuchel. He has also won the Europa League in 2019, the UEFA Super Cup and the Club World Cup in 2022 as well with Chelsea.
Arsenal is currtently leading the league points table 50 points in 19 games while Chelsea is languishing at 10th with eight wins and seven losses in 20 games.
Follow all January deadline day stories here:
- ⦿Transfer deadline day: All you need to know about the January 2023 winter window
- ⦿Transfer Market Deadline Day: Players expected to sign on January 31
- ⦿Premier League Transfer news live: Full list of January 2023 signings
- ⦿La Liga winter transfer window: Complete list of ins and outs of players in January 2023
- ⦿January transfer window: Biggest winter signings which flopped at their new clubs
- ⦿Deadline day transfers: Suarez to Bruno, most impactful signings in the January winter window