Barca Femeni has been suspended from the Copa de la Reina after it unknowingly fielded ineligible player Geyse Ferreira in its 9-0 Round of 16 win against Osasuna. The Sevilla women’s team has also been disqualified for the same reason after it played Nagore Calderon in its 1-0 win against Villarreal.
Geyse was due to be serving a suspension carried over from last season while playing for Madrid CFF, while Calderon had been red-carded in the team’s last cup game last season.
The teams have 10 days to appeal the suspension to the federation.
As things stand, Barca Femeni’s treble hopes have taken a hit after the suspension.
The team is top of the Primera Division standings with 42 points, winning all the 14 matches it has played this season.
- Spotlight on Bumrah as India takes on Ireland in first T20I
- Pro Kabaddi League 2023 to start from December 2, PKL 10 returns to 12-city format
- India colts face Spain in four-nation meet in Junior Hockey World Cup build-up
- Shot put record holder Ryan Crouser on what makes him the ultimate champion
- World Athletics Championships 2023: 28 Indians who have made the cut, form guide and medal prospects