Borussia Dortmund was fined 75,000 euros ($91,000) for breaking German football's social distancing rules after players celebrated a win over a fierce rival inside the team bus.
Videos published on social media following the 4-0 win over Schalke on Saturday showed players celebrating together as the bus passed a crowd of Dortmund fans cheering on the street. The club estimated the bus was greeted by 150 to 200 fans near the Dortmund training center when the team returned from the game.
READ: Dortmund crushes Schalke 4-0 in Ruhr derby with Haaland double
The league said on Monday that Dortmund was fined because “players celebrated the win in the derby in the team bus without distancing and without covering the mouth and nose.”
Dortmund said it accepted the fine. The club apologised on Sunday for the celebrations, saying it would speak “with the police and with everyone involved” about how best to prevent similar scenes in the future.
Dortmund and Schalke have a longstanding rivalry. The win for Dortmund also marked a turnaround after one win from its previous six league games. Dortmund is sixth in the Bundesliga.
Latest on Sportstar
- CONCACAF reverting to Champions Cup from Champions League
- Djokovic reaches French Open semifinals, awaits winner of Alcaraz vs Tsitsipas
- French Open 2023 Live Updates: Alcaraz vs Tsitsipas in Roland-Garros quarterfinals, winner faces Djokovic
- Red Bull’s Max Verstappen surges ahead in F1 standings
- Miyu Kato loses women’s doubles money for accidentally hitting ball kid