The 34-year-old appeared to jar his knee when he stood on top of the ball during the second half of his side's 2-2 Bundesliga draw away to Hertha Berlin on Sunday.
Tests have since revealed the extent of the damage and initial reports suggest he is facing up to three months out of action.
"We're sorry Franck has hurt himself," chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said via the club's official website. "We all wish him a quick recovery."
Bayern said in a statement that Ribery has already begun rehabilitation work to repair the damage, although he will not require surgery.
READ: Ribery injury 'does not look good'
Speaking after the match, the former Marseille star said: "I'm in a lot of pain. The outer ligament is probably damaged. I hope it's not any worse than that."
Team-mate Jerome Boateng tweeted soon after the news: "Get well soon bro!".
Latest on Sportstar
- Women’s Junior Asia Cup 2023: India ready for Malaysia challenge
- Swiatek no fan of ‘Iga’s Bakery’ memes after serving up another double bagel
- An Se Young defeats He Bingjiao in straight games, claims Thailand Open title
- WTC Final: Rahane stands at crossroads in his comeback Test
- Ravi Dahiya pulls out of from Bishkek Ranking Series after injury during warmup