Mainz 05 struck early to stun last season's Bundesliga runners-up RB Leipzig 1-0 on Sunday and spoil new coach Jesse Marsch's Bundesliga debut in the club's opening game of the campaign.
Mainz's Moussa Niakhate tapped in at the far post in the 13th minute after a disastrous attempt to clear the ball from Leipzig's Nordi Mukiele lobbed it into the path of the goal scorer.
Lee Jae-sung also hit the woodwork for Mainz but Leipzig gradually took control and made its own chances for Christopher Nkunku and Angelino.
In a largely one-sided second half, Leipzig pushed Mainz back deep but struggled to create openings, although it did come close with Mohamed Simakan's double chance on the hour and Mukiele's shot.
- Asian Games 2023 LIVE Updates, October 1: Nikhat Zareen in action; Satwik-Chirag leads 1-0 in men’s badminton final - Hangzhou 2022 Scores
- India vs China Badminton LIVE Score men’s team final, Asian Games 2023: Satwik-Chirag win first game after Lakshya beat Yuqi Shi to give India 1-0 lead in tie; Hangzhou updates
- Athletics at Asian Games 2023 LIVE updates, Hangzhou 2022: Tajinderpal in action in shot put soon, Amlan qualifies for men’s 200m SF
- China Open: Alcaraz reaches quarterfinal, Sabalenka thrashes Kenin to sail into second round
- VAR officials replaced after offside error in Liverpool defeat