Lionel Messi's masterclass in the 4-2 Champions League win at Tottenham prompted Barcelona teammate Philippe Coutinho to describe him as the "best ever".
Coutinho gave Barca a second-minute lead at Wembley on Wednesday, but it was Messi's brace in the second half that ensured Ernesto Valverde's men ended a run of three games without a win.
Messi was also involved in Barca's opener before taking his Champions League tally to 64 goals from 65 appearances in the group stage, while Jordi Alba recorded a trio of assists.
Former Barca striker Gary Lineker described Messi as the best player in history on social media and Coutinho was quick to agree with that assessment after scoring his first Champions League goal for the club.
"Messi is the best ever. He always does new things on the field, I'm glad he scored two goals. All Champions League matches are like that. We have to be at 100 per cent. Today, we deserved the victory," Coutinho said to beIN SPORTS .
Tottenham defender Kieran Trippier accepted that Barca earned its victory, but said that his team, without star men Christian Eriksen, Dele Alli and Jan Vertonghen due to injury, can be satisfied with a second-half fightback that saw goals from Harry Kane and Erik Lamela.
"These are the games you want to be involved in, that you dream of playing in. [Messi] was unbelievable. When he's in that form he's magic to watch," Trippier said to BT Sport .
"Barcelona were the better team on the night but we'll take plenty of positives out of it. We've got another game around the corner, so we'll recover and see where we went wrong."
- Asian Games 2023, September 29, Live Updates from Hangzhou 2022: India wins gold in 50m Rifle 3P team with new world record, silver in women’s 10m air pistol team; Saketh-Ramkumar trailing in final
- Asian Games 2023: Overall medals tally, September 29 LIVE - Indian shooters win GOLD in men’s 50m rifle 3P, silver in women’s 10m air pistol team event; India fourth with 27 medals
- India wins gold in men’s 50m rifle 3P team event with new WR at Asian Games 2023
- Asian Games 2023: Overall medals tally, September 28 - India wins gold in men’s 10m air pistol team event, Roshibina clinches Wushu silver; Anush bags bronze in equestrian; India stays fifth with 6 gold, 25 medals in total
- Asian Games Shooting LIVE score, Hangzhou 2023 updates: Indian shooters break World Record to clinch GOLD in Men’s 50m rifle 3P, India wins SILVER women’s 10m air pistol team event