When Liverpool and Roma were drawn against Man City and Barcelona, respectively, in the quarterfinals of the Champions League, few will have expected a meeting of the former two sides in the semifinals.
But here they are, facing off in Tuesday's first leg, which will be the first match-up since 1983-84, when Roma made its only other semifinal appearance of the competition that was known as the European Cup back then.
The manner of their victories over Man City and Barcelona bodes well for this two-legged tie, which is a match-up of one of the better attacking sides (Liverpool) against a team that will lay emphasis on stifling its opposition's attacking threat.
Liverpool - Adam Lallana (hamstring injury), Joel Matip (thigh injury) and Emre Can (back injury) are out of the first leg, while defender Nathaniel Clyne's involvement is in doubt. Jordan Henderson, who was suspended for the second leg of the quarterfinal against Man City, is available again.
ALSO READ: Klopp ready for 'different' Roma test
Roma - Defender Rick Karsdorp (cruciate ligament injury) and striker Gregoire Defrel (knee injury) are the absentees for the Italian club.
Possible starting line-ups
Liverpool (4-3-3): Loris Karius (GK); Trent Alexander-Arnold, Dejan Lovren, Virgil van Dijk, Andrew Robertson; Jordan Henderson, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, James Milner; Mohamed Salah, Roberto Firmino, Sadio Mane
Roma (3-5-2): Allison Becker (GK); Kostas Manolas, Federico Fazio, Juan Jesus; Alessandro Florenzi, Radja Nainggolan, Daniele De Rossi, Kevin Strootman, Aleksandar Kolarov; Patrick Schick, Edin Dzeko
- This will be the sixth meeting between Roma and Liverpool
- Of the teams remaining in the competition, Liverpool is the only club that has not tasted defeat
- Roma has lost three of its five Champions League away fixtures this season
- Spurs family behind Richarlison, says skipper Son
- UEFA Champions League: Last ever group stage starts as Man City looks to defend title
- UEFA Champions League return just the start of Euro adventure for Saudi-backed Newcastle
- Asian Games 2023: Top 10 Indian medal prospects
- Singapore GP: Lawson takes his first points in F1 and wants more