Ramos investigated by UEFA over Ajax booking comments

UEFA has confirmed an investigation into comments made by Sergio Ramos after Real Madrid's win at Ajax is being conducted.

Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos with Ajax striker Kasper Dolberg   -  Getty Images

Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos will be investigated over comments he made following his booking during Wednesday's Champions League win at Ajax, UEFA has announced.

Making his 600th appearance for the club in Wednesday's Champions League tie, Ramos was booked late in the game for a foul on Ajax striker Kasper Dolberg.

Madrid was leading 2-1 at the time of the yellow card being shown to Ramos, who will miss the second leg at the Santiago Bernabeu through suspension as a result.

Ramos appeared to initially admit he deliberately earned the booking so he could serve the ban before the quarter-finals, should three-time defending champions Madrid progress.

"Looking at the result, I'd be lying if I said I didn't force [the booking]," he told reporters after the game.

"It is not to underestimate the opponent nor to think that the series is over, but in football you have to make tough decisions."

Read: Bale at risk of 12-game ban for Madrid derby celebration

But Ramos then backtracked on his comments in a post on social media.

"I want to make it clear that it hurts more than anyone, I have not forced the card, as I did not against Roma in my previous Champions League match," the Madrid captain wrote on Twitter.

"I will support from the stands as one more fan with the illusion of being in the quarters."

Real Madrid defender Dani Carvajal has previously earned a two-game ban for deliberately earning a booking.   -  Getty Images

 

In a statement released on Thursday, UEFA confirmed Ramos' comments are being examined.

"A disciplinary investigation has been initiated based on Article 31(3) of the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations in connection with the statements made by Real Madrid player Sergio Ramos in the above-mentioned match," the governing body said.

"Information in respect of this investigation will be made available in due course."

In December 2017, Madrid right-back Dani Carvajal received a two-game ban from UEFA after he was adjudged to have deliberately earned a booking.

Also Read: Simeone extends Atletico Madrid contract

Carvajal was deemed to have wasted time in the last minute of Madrid's 6-0 win over Cypriot side Apoel Nicosia, acquiring a caution that ruled him out of a group game against Borussia Dortmund, with the LaLiga giants having already qualified for the knockout rounds.

Should Ramos be given a similar punishment to Carvajal, he would miss the first leg of the quarter-final if Madrid hold on to their lead against Ajax.

UEFA also confirmed disciplinary proceedings have been opened against both Ajax and Madrid for the setting off of fireworks by supporters during the game.

Additionally, Ajax will be investigated for an "illicit banner", as well as the throwing of objects.

  Dugout videos