Middlesbrough made light work of Sheffield United in the Championship, with all of the goals in its 3-0 win at the Riverside Stadium coming before half-time.
Typically for a Tony Pulis side, Boro's set-piece prowess was to the fore as Martin Braithwaite and then Aden Flint were the beneficiaries of Lewis Wing corners from the left.
Club stalwart Stewart Downing, then, converted Ryan Shotton's cross at the back post in the 25th minute to leave United with a thankless task.
READ: Green's save allows Hazard to win ICC clash
By contrast, everything was up for grabs in the closing stages at the City Ground as West Brom battled to a 1-1 draw with Nottingham Forest.
The game failed to catch fire early on, but Adlene Guedioura arrowed home a fine long-range strike for the host shortly before the hour.
West Brom left it until three minutes from time to level matters when Matt Phillips crashed a brilliant effort into the roof of the net and Harvey Barnes looped a cross against the Forest bar amid a breathless finale.
Latest on Sportstar
- Rahane stands at crossroads in his comeback Test
- Ravi Dahiya pulls out of from Bishkek Ranking Series after injury during warmup
- Mbappe targets Ligue 1 scoring record with PSG next season
- Sanjivani Jadhav finishes second in women’s 10,000m at Portland Track Festival
- WTC Final 2023: Cameron Green hopes to bring in Rohit Sharma’s calmness in title clash