Cristiano Ronaldo’s hopes of winning the Saudi league title with Al-Nassr were given a shot in the arm on Wednesday when leader Ittihad lost 2-1 to Al-Taawoun.
Ittihad is still in the driver’s seat on 59 points, three ahead of Al Nassr, with five games left to play. Ittihad also has the upper hand in the head-to-head record between the sides this season.
Fahd Al-Rashidi scored once in each half to give Al-Taawoun a 2-0 lead before Abderrazak Hamdallah replied in the 76th minute.
Ronaldo, who has scored 12 league goals since joining Al-Nassr in January, posted a photo on Twitter with Al-Nassr’s motto “ANA AALAMY” in Arabic in the early hours on Thursday.
Latest on Sportstar
- Cerundolo downs Fritz to reach second week of slam for first time
- Nuggets coach says ‘We haven’t done a damn thing’ in NBA Finals
- Haddad Maia becomes first Brazilian woman to reach French Open last 16 in 44 years
- Fan arrested for ‘97’ slogan on shirt
- Ten Hag’s United “broken” after FA Cup final loss to Manchester City