FIFA rejects Chelsea's bid to freeze transfer ban, club 'astonished' by snub

FIFA signalled the ban preventing Chelsea from registering players for two windows will still stand while the appeal is heard.

FIFA's decision means Chelsea will be unable to recruit new players this summer or in the January 2020 transfer window.   -  Getty Images

Chelsea's two-window transfer ban will not be delayed while its appeal is heard, FIFA has confirmed.

FIFA's Disciplinary Committee sanctioned Chelsea in relation to 29 cases where the Premier League club was found to have breached regulations relating to the international transfer and registration of players under the age of 18.

Chelsea immediately said it "categorically refute" FIFA's claims and signalled it would appeal against the decision.

READ | UEFA opens Financial Fair Play probe into Man City

Confirmation an appeal had been filed was made this week and FIFA signalled the ban preventing Chelsea from registering players for two windows will still stand while the appeal is heard.

"We can confirm that the chairman of the FIFA Appeal Committee has rejected the application for provisional measures filed by Chelsea in relation to the decision of the FIFA Disciplinary Committee," a spokesperson told Omnisport in a statement on Friday.

FIFA's decision means the original restrictions stand and Chelsea will be unable to recruit new players this summer or in the January 2020 transfer window.

Chelsea unhappy with FIFA's decision

Chelsea has slammed FIFA's decision, claiming it is “astonished” by a move that would ruin the club's plans to revamp its struggling squad.

“Chelsea Football Club is astonished by the FIFA Appeal Committee's decision not to suspend its sanction pending completion of the appeal process,” a Chelsea statement.

“The club acted in accordance with the relevant regulations and has already notified FIFA of its intention to appeal against the Disciplinary Committee's decision and sanction.

“As a matter of procedural fairness and equality of treatment, and Swiss law, the Club's right to an appeal process must be afforded, before any irremediable sanction takes effect.

“So far as the Club is aware, in all previous cases where a registration ban has been imposed by FIFA, a decision has also been made to suspend the sanction until the appeal process has been completed.”

ALSO READ | Lille owner denies Luis Campos to Chelsea rumours

In similar cases, Spanish clubs Real Madrid, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid were each granted provisional measures which ensured bans were not immediately enforced.

Barcelona, in fact, went on to sign Luis Suarez, Ivan Rakitic, Jeremy Mathieu, Claudio Bravo and Marc-Andre ter Stegen before the ban came into effect.

Chelsea feels its treatment is inconsistent and will consider its next steps once written reasons for the decision are received from FIFA. This could include an appeal against this decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

“In this case, Chelsea considers that it is being treated inconsistently in comparison with other European clubs,” the statement said. We will consider our next steps once we have received the written reasons for this decision from FIFA.

“The Club notes the Appeal Committee's statement that it has the right to appeal to CAS. In the meantime the club will continue to fully cooperate with the proceedings.”

  Dugout videos